Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Staying Motivated and feeling like your doing something...

I have had many conversations as of late with people who are concerned about if they are doing enough when it comes to homeschooling. Between not doing enough and staying motivated these seem to be a couple of areas many homeschooling parents struggle with.

As far as asking yourself if you are doing enough. There are many styles of homeschooling and just because "susie" uses a curriculum and you don't doesn't mean she is doing any more or less then you are. Children learn in different ways. I know that if I was to do just work sheets with my daughter I should just forget it. It won't work she would be totally bored to tears and be difficult to teach. I have chosen a literature based curriculum because after doing much research and sitting back and watching my daughter I realized that it was the fit for her and so far so good.

Just because one child learns one way doesn't mean the rest of your children will learn the same way. That is the beauty of homeschooling you can customize the curriculum to fit the child. Something that can not be done in a public school.

I have been homeschooling my daughter for about two months now and it is going well, we do have times when we dont' get done everything I want to in a day but I still walk away at the end of the day knowing we did accomplish things whether it was just a walk and talking about nature or baking something.

So staying motivated is harding than feeling like you have done something I think anyways or maybe they go hand in hand. You will still be motivated or will be motivated period if you know you are accomplishing something every day. Look at the little things. Keep a list of the things you do throughout the day so that you can look back at it at the end of the day and see that you have accomplished something. That would probably be a good start.

I will try to post more on this subject in another post. I have to get ready to start my day here this morning and set up things for my daughter and I.

No comments: