Monday, October 27, 2008

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons


Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, by Engelmann, Haddox, and Bruner is the book I have been using kind of to teach my daughter to read and learn the alphabet. But I am not using it in the way the book was meant to be used not at all. Here is how I am using it.

I took some cue cards/blank recipe cards purchased from the dollar store and a black sharpie and I put all the different letters and combinations on the cue cards that they teach. Complete with blend so she could see how to say them. I did all 44 letters/blends and every day we would do some cue cards... nothing hard core because I like to keep things simple with her. She prefers that and it is much less stress when your dealing with a 4 year old. So every day we are adding more and more cue cards until she can do them all without prompting.

After she is done with the letters/blends then we will go on to the words they have in the book. I will just take my cues from her. If she can say the blends without prompting then it is time to go onto the words.

This book is available at most libraries I have found and it is a wonderful resource to use to make up the cue cards and not do the lessons. Mind you some people have had wonderful luck with the lessons it just isnt' something my daughter can handle and I know that so I just changed it up for us.

No comments: